Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Game for a Rainy Day...


Here's me, taking myself for a trot in the park sans human.
___________________

Dear pooch people,

Plain and simple, rain sucks! It gets my fur wet, it makes me smell all wet doggy and it usually means I don't get to go play at the dog park.

I used to get really bummed out on rainy days until I learned a new game called 'hide and seek'. Now when it does rain, I know it's just a matter of time before dad's hiding and I'm seeking. It is sooooo much fun. Here's how we play:

  1. I sit and stay on a mat in the kitchen
  2. Dad finds a hiding spot
  3. Calls my name
  4. and it's on...

    Okay, I admit that sometimes I cheat and find him because I can hear where he calls me from or I can clearly see his feet from behind the curtains, but other times I have to rely on my keen sense of smell to track him down.
When I do find him he gets all excited which in turn makes me run in circles chasing after my tail until I can ultimately grab a hold of it and fall to the ground in elation. Sometimes he has a tug toy with him and I get to play tug with him for a few minutes before it's time to hide again.

Dad tells me this game is good for me because it utilizes my sense of smell, sight and hearing and that it helps us bond, but when it really comes down to it, for me it's just plain ole fun.


For beginner pooches:

When I was a young pup, I'll admit that my attention span was about as long as a grain of rice. Because of this, my mom and dad played the game together with me. Dad would put my leash on me and stay with me in the kitchen and my mom would go hide somewhere close by. When mom would shout my name, dad would say “let's go Rosco, SEARCH for mommy”! Sometimes, I would give up after a couple laps around the dining room, but dad would keep encouraging me and eventually we would find her. Now that I am a big boy I can play without any help or leash at all. Ya, I know, it's impressive.

Have fun playing hide and seek with your fur buddies. It's a blast!

Seekingly yours,

- Rosco

P.S. I also enjoy playing a version of this game where instead of finding a human I get to search out and eat a few of my kibble. It's not quite as exciting and I tend to leave a trail of slobber leading up to the treat but it does give me a job to do, and I love that.

I LOVE MY PIT BULL BUDDIES

P.S.S. October 27th is National Pit  Bull Awareness Day! 
To find and/or register for events in your area please check out: http://www.nationalpitbullawarenessday.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post your comments and recommendations for other dog blogs. Thanks for reading!